Sunday, March 22, 2009

The Shack (2)

I just read William P. Young’s The Shack. It’s an extraordinary book. In it, Young paints a portrait of the three persons of the Trinity through the conversations that God has with a man who is mourning the death of his young daughter and has been on a difficult and painful journey to find meaning in his life once again. There were several big epiphanies for me. One is God’s ability to be bound by self-imposed limits. God’s ability to experience “limits” does not suggest any lessening of God’s power and omnipotence. The limits are simply another expression of God’s love for humanity and the desire to better experience humanity through these limits. Another epiphany relates to the intimate relationship among the three persons of the Trinity as, for instance, when “Papa,” a female figure who portrays the person of God the Father, reveals deep scars on her wrists, a result of “Papa’s” immediate and intimate connectedness with Jesus and the crucifixion. Perhaps the most amazing epiphany for me is the portrayal of the Holy Spirit though the character known as “Sarayu,” a twinkling, sparkling, almost wave-based being who speaks to the protagonist as easily as “Papa” or Jesus does.

This book helped to explode the fairy tale images I may have had about God. It revealed to me a God who is not involved in changing the outcomes that happen as a result of human actions but who definitely IS fully engaged in trying to establish a relationship with every human being so that each person can experience God’s love and manifest that love in relationship with others. Read The Shack. It will be a revelation no matter what your current beliefs.

-- Pat Jones

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yours is what "I" consider a good summary of "The Shack" which I haven't completed.
I'm still waiting to find out how God in the Trinity deals with,
or if He/they just don't 'deal' with evil. . . .because of free will. . . .
which I really don't think has been addressed, except for the children issue. . .
i.e. which of the children do you want to send to (something like) the 'fires of Hell'?. . .
if I understand correctly. . . . Did you get that?

I also think there is a developmental/learning issue addressed in the book
relating to each of us on earth. . i.e., when something goes wrong',
how we deal with it, whether we grow through it/how we deal w. it and come out of it.

I LOVED the 'comparison' of the relationship between man/wife. . . .and the relationship between the Trinity . . ..
AND an "INSTITUTION", be it 'marriage' ,. government OR the church
(all of which is screwed up in that context, too big, too many rules, POOR relating).
Unless I got it wrong, I think it was very insightful. . .
(I also think the "KISS" principle works here!!!. . .the 'simpler' it is the better.
[not the best analogy]. But an equal/simplistic relationship.)

BUT, I had to continue to remember that it IS fiction!!!. . . nevertheless, a thought
provoking book and educational and insightful on a different level.

I am looking forward to a potential discussion here at our church, before we leave for
N VA!


LAH