Thursday, March 5, 2009

A Special Place

Lent is the time of year when I go on my annual spiritual retreat. Since 1980, I have joined a group of men at Loyola House of Retreats in Morristown, New Jersey for a silent weekend spiritual retreat. I say silent. It’s the 75 or so men who make the retreat who remain silent. There is talking, but that’s done by one of the 6 or 7 Jesuits who live in the retreat house. Periodically throughout the weekend, all the men gather in chapel to hear a talk or “reflection for prayer” given by one of the Jesuits. These talks are thoughtful, provocative, biblical, challenging, and reflective. They cause you to reflect on your relationship with God and to take a closer walk with the Lord.

My father introduced me to this form of retreat in 1980. Since then, I’ve made 22 or 23 such retreats annually. I’ve missed a few years (babies, work, travel, etc.), but I try not to miss it. I like to say it’s the one thing during the year that I do JUST FOR ME. In reality, I’m doing it for everyone whose life is touched by mine because I think I become a better man and a better person for having gone on this retreat once a year.

I asked my brother Andy how it makes him feel to go on a retreat at Loyola. He said, “I feel wonderful because the Loyola experience reminds me how much God loves me no matter what, and that with God on our side, we have the courage to try anything we desire. I also feel closer to Dad and Uncle Bob, because Loyola was such an important part of their lives.”

-- Pat Jones

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pat, Thanks for sharing your reflections on Loyola. We have much in common - 23 year retreatant, and my brother introduced me to Loyola back in the mid 80's. I now am blessed with running the House full time, and appreciate those who take the time to testify to God's Graces abundantly available here in this beautiful and Holy Space. God bless you and your Saint Clement Congregation, Joe Albarella 973 539 0740.

Anonymous said...

Me too! I got my vocation through Loyola when I came on retreat with my dad in 1972! What a great memory I have of that retreat and the three I made after that before entering the Jesuits. Great job describing the joys of the retreat. God bless you and your congregation.
Fr. Charlie Moutenot, S.J.

Pat Jones said...

Thanks, Joe and Charlie, for adding your commentary. Loyola is indeed a holy place and I look forward to being with you again soon. Many blessings on all the men and women of Loyola. -- Pat Jones